Get Stall Catchers into your classroom or science club! Let your students engage in real world science. You will find everything you need to get started on this page. Use the helpful table of contents on the left to navigate to the section of interest to you. All content may be freely reproduced (CC BY-SA 4.0).
But first… What is Stall Catchers?
Stall Catchers is an online game speeding up Alzheimer’s disease research at Cornell University. Featured on PBS, WIRED, and the Washington Post, Stall Catchers could reduce the time to find an Alzheimer’s treatment from decades to just a few years. As of December 2018, Stall Catchers has over 14 thousand registered players worldwide.
Science of Stall Catchers
The playlist below contains a series of short animated videos that introduce the science behind Stall Catchers in a clear and accessible language. Start with How does playing Stall Catchers help find a cure for Alzheimer's disease?, and move on to the specific research questions that we’re trying to answer through the game!
Attribution: Human Computation Institute, CC BY-SA 4.0
- The Science Behind EyesOnALZ (the original Discover Magazine post)
- Science of Stall Catchers: Our new Magic Number
- We're looking for an "effective treatment" for Alzheimer's. What does that mean?
- Science of Stall Catchers: discovery-based or hypothesis-driven?
- Why aren't we using machines instead of humans to catch stalls?
- Why is "validation" important in Stall Catchers?
You can also ask your questions and see other discussion threads on "The Science" section of our forum here.
Stall Catchers in schools
Blog and media articles:
- Lake Hazel Middle School (Boise, ID) wins first Stall Catchers Team Competition
- Discover Magazine - first citizen science trophy awarded to school
- Human Computation Institute blog post - Stall Catchers trophy next to sports awards in school trophy case
- Stall Catchers at H-B Woodlawn’s Science Expo
- Stall Catchers part of school research project in Catalonia!
Alpine School DistrictUtah
H-B WoodlawnArlington, Virginia